Monday, November 29, 2010

REIGNING SOUND - Time Bomb High School


I recently found out about this band because their frontman, Greg Cartwright, is involved in another project, The Parting Gifts, which also features Patrick Keeler of The Greenhornes/The Raconteurs. Actually, I'm certain I'd heard their band name before but I didn't check them out at the time. As it turns out, Cartwright appears to be somewhat of an underground legend in the garage rock/punk/blues scene, having been the leader of The Compulsive Gamblers and The Oblivians prior to the Reigning Sound. Formed in Memphis, Tennessee in 2001, Cartwright and the band are now based out of Asheville, North Carolina. Time Bomb High School is their sophomore album and it came out in 2002. I wish I'd listened to this album sooner than the 8-year timespan it took me to. This is an awesome album. It combines rock, garage, punk, blues, and it has a very 50s/60s feel to it. Really cool stuff! I'll be looking into their other stuff as well now that I know about these guys.

www.myspace.com/reigningsoundfans
www.intheredrecords.com/pages/ReigningSound.html

No comments: