Tuesday, December 14, 2010

AUDITORIUM - Be Brave


Be Brave's official release date is January 18, 2011, and all I can say about that is, thank goodness for advance copies.

This album was recorded over a three-year span by Spencer Berger, who did all of the performing, recording, and mixing (later "finishing touches" were added by Pete Lyman). He's now joined by a full band on live performances. Berger is already an accomplished performer, having performed at the Metropolitan Opera from the time he was 9 years old through 12 years old and graduating with a music degree from Vassar College. His talents also go beyond the musical world, as he wrote the screenplay for "Skills Like This", which won the 2007 SXSW Film Festival's Audience Award for Best Narrative Film and garnered many fine critical reviews. But, I digress.

Back to Be Brave, which features 14 songs and clocks in at just over 31 minutes. Upon first hearing the album, it seems warm and friendly. It's that person you meet at a party and you know you've met them before but you can't place where, and they don't seem to recognize you so you don't know if you're mistaken but ultimately it doesn't matter because you are enjoying their company nonetheless. The album's minimalist approach of just guitars, electric bass, and vocals doesn't compromise the full sound of the songs. Berger's voice reminds me of Elliott Smith without the weight of the world bringing him down. Plenty of gorgeous layered vocals on here as well. I guess if I had to label this with a genre I'd say it's singer-songwriter indie folk. Right now, if I had to pick, I'd say my favorite song is "I'm The Enforcer". This is an album for sitting by the fire, drinking hot cocoa, and making out. Fantastic music for fantastic things.

www.myspace.com/auditoriumband
fieldfm.wordpress.com

No comments: