Friday, December 3, 2010

EDITORS - In This Light And On This Evening


This is the third full-length album from the band that originally formed in Birmingham, England. Half of the band, bassist Russell Leech and guitarist Chris Urbanowicz, now live in New York while singer Tom Smith lives in London (I don't know where drummer Edward Lay resides). In This Light And On This Evening was recorded in London and produced by Flood. This album came out in October 2009, and I've been sitting on it for over a year. Why? I've always liked the singles this band put out but could never get into listening to a whole album. Truth be told, I think this is the first time I've ever listened to an entire Editors album so I can't really say how this album holds up to their first two. The Joy Division comparisons are still present, but the machine-like, synth-heavy backing music really pushes the band's sound in a great direction. Lots of lyrical references to London, God, death, and love. I think Smith's voice is creepy at times (I've always felt the same about Ian Curtis, too). Still, I'm liking this album and I think maybe it's time I gave their previous albums their overdue playthroughs.

www.myspace.com/editorsmusic
www.editorsofficial.com

No comments: